Visit

The Canton Historical Museum
The Canton Historical Museum houses collections of historic artifacts and documents that outline the history of Canton Township. Exhibits highlight the agricultural, governmental, and social history of the Township.

Group visits must arrange for a tour by calling ahead.

Address
1022 South Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
Phone: 734-397-0088
E-mail: cantonhist@comcast.net

Hours
Tuesdays, 1–4 p.m.
Thursdays, 1-4 p.m.
Saturdays, 11 a.m.–3 p.m.

The museum is currently closed and will reopen in late April/early May.  

Please note that the Museum will not be open when Canton Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather.

For special appointments, please call 734-397-0088.

Parking
Free parking is available in the lot behind the Museum. The parking lot, sidewalk, and entrance to the Museum are all wheelchair accessible.

Admission
Free; donations are appreciated. Click here to donate.

 


Visit Us at Preservation Park
Located in the historic Cherry Hill Village, Preservation Park offers the Canton community a garden area, a pedestrian path, a nearby dog park, and the spring and summer season of Farmers Markets (May to October, Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.).

Location
Preservation Park
500 North Ridge Road
Canton, MI 48187

Parking
Free parking is available.


The Bartlett-Travis House

Architecturally, the "BT House" is a fine example of the houses of its time as well as the architectural progress that has been made. Originally constructed in 1838 in Greek revival style with post and beam construction, the additions from 1876 to 1880 feature Italianate details. In 1919, a Queen Anne wraparound porch was added.

The Canton Historical Society Archives of photographs and documents is also located on-site.

Hours
Open throughout the year for special events and during Farmers Markets (May to October), Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Admission
Free; donations are appreciated. Click here to donate.


The Cady-Boyer Barn

Originally built before the Civil War, the barn was enlarged and remodeled in 1908 by Aruna Cady, one of Canton's pioneer families. The barn has been moved from its original location at Joy and McClumpha roads to its present site on Preservation Park. A generous donation from Bob Boyer allowed Amish craftsmen to be hired to dismantle the barn and rebuild it.

Hours
Open throughout the year for special events.


The Canton Historical Society Pole Barn

This large white barn houses the Society's collection of farming-related equipment and tools.

Hours
Open during Farmers Markets (May to October), Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Admission
Free; donations are appreciated. Click here to donate.



The Cherry Hill Schoolhouse

The original school was built in the 1830s and was a log cabin measuring 21 × 24 feet, complete with a wood-burning stove. The present schoolhouse was built in 1875 to replace the old cabin. It is an "Italianate" style building. The building is surrounded by old maple trees, which were planted to celebrate our country's centennial.

In 1942, Henry Ford and the Edison Institute took over Cherry Hill School. Ford was active in the area with the Ford Farm on Gotfredson Road, and his factory established to employ wounded veterans at the corner of Cherry Hill and Ridge Road. The school is a local and state historic site, and is part of the National Register Historic District of Cherry Hill Village.

Address
50440 Cherry Hill Road
Canton, MI 48187

Hours
Not currently open for public tours.